Monday, February 02, 2015

Misfits

A friend of mine, who attends a different church than I do, referred to the kids in their youth group as 'misfits'.

This label bothered me and I pondered its meaning throughout the day, especially because two of our sons are youth pastors.

I thought back, w-a-y back to my youth group days.  Was I a misfit?  

Oh, honey.  YES.

I made a lot of my own clothes.  I was in band.  I carried my Bible around with me.  I taught Bible study to a handful of friends, once a week in a stairwell at our school of 3500. Didn't hang out with the popular kids, didn't get invited to parties.

I was a misfit with a capital mis.

Am I ashamed of that?  

No.

Not fitting in builds character.  I cared less about what the other kids thought and more about what GOD thought.

You see, this world is not my home:

Hebrews 13:14For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come.

And we are told in Romans 12:2:

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

And finally:
I Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
10 Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
11 Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.
12 Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.

We are GOD's people, friends.  Conforming to His will automatically makes us misfits in a world that disregards and even mocks His word.

I'm praying for those misfit students to have strength to stand alone when necessary.

They won't have to do it alone in reality.  God gives us the strength we need.  And they won't have to do it for  long, either. 

This world is not our home, we're just passing through.


No comments: