Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Throughout history

 

Several years ago, I was chatting with a friend about some of the things we were discovering about the resident fisherman's side of the family.

My mother-in-law had recently passed away and we were painstakingly sorting through boxes, dresser drawers, trunks, desks.  We were rather surprised at some of what we found:

An ancestor who came over on the Mayflower
Daniel Boone was a distant relative
A letter and a picture of an ancestor who was a civil war soldier
Pictures of the Wright brothers ( yes, those Wright brothers), who were employed by a great great grandfather and at whose funerals he was a pall bearer).
Journals and pictures from Pat's dad who was stationed at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed.

My friend said, "Wow!  Your family sounds like Forrest Gump!"

I chuckled.  Yes, Forrest Gump was *present* at various times of historical significance: Elvis learning how to dance, the hippie movement, the beginning of the Ku Klux Klan and the Black Panther movement (?) as well as Ping Pong Diplomacy and Watergate.  He sure got around.

So did the resident fisherman's family.  Some pretty interesting stuff.  To us anyway.

Since I have seemed to lost my blogging mojo once again, I thought I would take the next several posts to record some of the family history here. Perhaps only the family will be interested.

That's okay, Life is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.

Here?  You get ramblings.  Historical and otherwise.


No comments: