Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Lessons from Mom part 1

Isn't Mom adorable?!


It was 1970ish.  I had gotten a job at a family-style restaurant.  My first job other than giving piano lessons to beginners or baby sitting. The only downside to this job, that I could see, was that my mother worked there too.

Now, I love my mom, but as a 16 year old, I was not crazy about working with her.

Most of the time we worked separate shifts.  But one evening we were on together.  

A few hours into our shift, I had a very dissatisfied customer. There was a rubber band in his ground round steak (!).  I would have been dissatisfied too, however, I would not have treated anyone the way he treated me.  He read me the riot act.  I did what any sensitive 16 year old girl would do (after apologizing and putting in another order for a rubberbandless ground round), I retreated to the dish room to cry.  (He hurt my feelings.)

Somehow, Mom got wind of this.  She didn't come to me initially, but went straight to the irate customer.  My petite mother gave him a taste of his own medicine.   I am sure, knowing Mom, that she was not rude, but she let him know in no uncertain terms that his attack toward me was unjustified.  Iam sure that her beautiful blue eyes were snapping in anger. (I may or may not have witnessed that 'look' growing up.)

Then she came to see if I was okay.  I delivered another steak to the now sheepish customer.  

My sweet little mama, who always taught the four of us to speak sweetly, fiercely defended me.  I cannot remember that without smiling in gratitude.

This story has a happy ending.  That rude customer ending up giving me a $5 tip.  I had never received such a large tip!

~~~~~~~~~~

Neither Mom nor I realized it then, but she was painting a picture for me of One Who Defends me, 
when I AM guilty of wrong.

I John 2:1
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin.  But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

Mom took up my case, because she is my mom.  Jesus takes up my case because he is my Savior.

He tells the Father, "Yes, Cheri is a sinner.  But I paid the price for her sins."

Thank you Mom for giving me a small glimpse of what that looks like.  Love you Mom, you have always pointed me to Jesus.



No comments: