Thursday, May 11, 2017

Lessons from Mom part 2

 Mom has always been a church goin' woman.   She has taught Sunday School and VBS.  After some of us left the nest, she pursued her lay leader certification through the United Methodist Church, which allowed her to preach.

Looking back through our old family photo albums you will find pictures of three little girls dressed in matching dresses.  Patent leather shoes, ruffled socks.  Our hair would have been curled after Saturday night baths, probably while we were sitting watching the Lawrence Welk Show.  Perhaps we held a little purse and on Easter Sunday, we definitely wore a hat. We are facing the sun with scrunched up squinty faces, but we were ready for church.

I gave fond memories of church growing up.  It never occurred to me to rebel against going.  It was as much a part of my life as breathing.

I attribute this to Mom.  I often remember her quoting Psalm 122:1:

I was glad when they said unto me, let us go to the house of the Lord.

Mom, you are one smart Mama.  Thank you for instilling in me, not only the habit of going to church, but the attitude that makes it a joy, lo these 60+ years later.  Love you, Mom!

No comments: