Friday, May 12, 2017

Lessons from Mom part 3



Probably when Mom was my age, in her 60's, sleep starting eluding her.

She would awaken at 3 or 4 a.m. and painfully make her way up the long flight of steps to the  (above the garage) bonus room.  (She had fallen off a bike when she was in her 50's and had difficulty with stairs.)

She called the bonus room her sanctuary.  After brewing a small pot of coffee, she would read her Bible.  Following her Bible and devotional book reading she would write in a journal.  The journals (and there are many) are a combination of recording the preceding day's events as well as praises and prayers.  By Mom's own admission they are difficult to read.

Mom, thank you for your faithful example of reading God's Word.  For your prayers.  In a world that increasingly seems counter to our faith, we have your example of establishing a sanctuary.  A place of safety.  Of rest and refreshment.  Despite the hour or the difficulty of getting there, you purposefully chose to begin each day in the sanctuary.  I choose to follow your example.

Psalm 63

You, God, are my God,

    earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
    my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
    where there is no water.
I have seen you in the sanctuary

    and beheld your power and your glory.
Because your love is better than life,
    my lips will glorify you.
I will praise you as long as I live,
    and in your name I will lift up my hands.
I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;
    with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
On my bed I remember you;

    I think of you through the watches of the night.
Because you are my help,

    I sing in the shadow of your wings.
I cling to you;
    your right hand upholds me.

No comments: