Monday, July 31, 2017

rhubarb bread

This flower, the name of which escapes me, has nothing to do with the subject of today's blog.  But it sure is pretty!

We either have a highly sophiscated batch of deer who frequent our yard(with a more cosmopolitan palate) or an illiterate bunch.
ALL the books say that deer do not like/eat: daffodils, crocuses, lilies of the valley, bleeding heart and rhubarb to name a few.

Our deer have eaten each and every one of those down to nothing.  So much for the books

 I had to resort to some unique techniques of my own to score some rhubarb.  I call it 'putting the word out'.  So thanks to my brother-in-law, an area business, and some sweet friends, I was able to  slice up three gallons of rhubarb for the freezer.

Our oldest son and his son are here for a few days.  Nate loves rhubarb pie.  There is one in the oven right now.  I mentioned this to my sister, who has also come into possession of rhubarb from a friend.  She asked me for favorite recipes.  Other than pie and sauce (which I put into a standard muffin mix), I often bake rhubarb bread.

This recipe comes from a sweet friend, Dee Dee, who just turned 75 last Saturday.  Here's to many more DeeDee!

RHUBARB BREAD

1.5 C brown sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup liquid shortening (I use oil)
1 C. milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
2.5 C. flour
1.5 C diced rhubarb
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix and pour into a greased and floured loaf pan.
Topping:
1/2 C. white sugar
1 TBS. butter
Mix and sprinkle on top of batter.
Bake at 350* for 1 hour.
Of course, you could leave the topping off...

No comments: