Wednesday, August 02, 2017

frugaling part 1

Did I tell you I saw a bear on my walk a few weeks ago?  I did.

I have talked to several friends lately who are having financial problems.  Several.

Today the Dow 22,000 and the reports are that the economy is moving along swimmingly well.

But if you are having trouble, it does not matter what the Dow does or what the experts say.

I spend a lot of time thinking about how to save money. Studying it.  Perhaps obsessing about it, but I would never admit to that out loud.

If you are having troubles financially, the next several posts are for you.  They are also for me. We are now living on social security with a little bit of retirement income to supplement it.  We live comfortably, but not extravagantly.  We enjoy life to the fullest, but deny ourselves many things that others don't think twice about.  I frequently need to remind or inspire myself to think frugally and make the most of what we have.

The first piece of advice I would give anyone who wanted it, is to think Biblically.  The Bible is FULL of advice/principles on living within your means.  I am an unashamed born again Christian.  Jesus is my Savior and He has given me the most beautiful love letter called the Bible.  In it, He tells my how much He loves me (and the world - not just me) and He tells me how to live.

I could chafe at those instructions, but I find that they are for my benefit and my protection.  He truly wants me to live an abundant life. But that doesn't necessarily mean I will be rich beyond my wildest dreams.

"But godliness with contentment is great gain."
I Timothy 6:6

Do I practice this principle perfectly?  No, I do not.  But when I do the peace that God gives is amazing.  No need to fear the future.

I would love it if you would hang around for the next several posts.  First, some on what the Bible says about money.  Then some real life examples of what I and others do to live within our means.

And enjoy the challenge.


No comments: