Friday, August 04, 2017

frugaling part 2


Several years ago, I had the privilege of volunteering at a women's halfway house.  I had a few different roles, but one was helping teach some basic Bible study courses.  

The Bible is so practical. We knew these gals night face trouble transitioning back into their life outside of jail or the halfway house.  So it was decided that we would teach them what the Bible had to say about money.  As it turns out, the Bible has a lot to say about money.  In fact Jesus spoke more about money than about heaven and hell combined!

Being a fledgling organization we were long on ideas and passion and short on funds.  No money to buy curriculum, so I spent many a pleasant hour with a Bible and a notebook in front of me.  I stuck to the book of Proverbs.

I wrote down every verse in Proverbs that I felt had something to do with money, economy, wages.
After I had poured over Proverbs several times, I had 99 verses.

I then read the verses over and over asking God to show me a pattern or some way to categorize things.  God does things 'decently and orderly' and I had full confidence that the book of Proverbs would be no exception.

After a time of study and prayer, I could see the pattern.  The 99 verses I had written broke down into 3 categories.

They were:
BE WISE
BE DILIGENT
BE GOOD (or behave)

Over the next 3 posts I will share what I found.  Strictly the words of the Bible (NIV) without any commentary from me.

No comments: