Tuesday, September 28, 2004

taking stock of stocking up

Several years ago I became hooked on The Tightwad Gazette Vol. 1,2, and 3 by Amy Dacyzn.
Amy is a black-belt tightwad and enlisted the help of other skinflints throught her newletter to compile hundreds of ideas to save money.

Some of them are rather extreme, but one of the more practical ones I have enlisted is pantry shopping. While some suggest you make a menu for the week, then buy groceries to prepare those meals, in pantry shopping you buy things at the lowest possible price and stock up on them. Over a period of time, you build up a supply of food in your pantry and can just go 'shopping' in your pantry for meal preparation.

I have tried to shop this way by being aware of prices and stocking up when I see a good deal.
Since Y2K and 9/11, I think many have become more aware of keeping a several days worth of food on hand. I recently read that Mormon's recommend having a year's supply of food at home. Wow.

My mother-in-law usually had a pretty good stock of food on hand. I'll be going over there today to bring some of it here. I am very thankful she wasn't Mormon! I do believe in being prepared and have read testimonies of people whose stockpile of food helped get them through rough times (job loss, health crisis, etc.)

We cannot prepare for every eventuality, however. We need to trust in God's ability to care for us and not bring us into any circumstances that we cannot bear. "....store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..." Mt. 6:20. While I firmly believe in being prepared and getting the most for my money, ultimately the only thing we can take along to heaven with us is other people.

So go ahead and stock your pantry, but make sure you are heavily invested in heavenly treasures.

No comments: