Tuesday, August 18, 2009

hug in a box

“Anything fragile in here?” she asked.

“No,” I responded.

“It says fragile,” she teased.

“I know (recycled box) – but it is actually a lap quilt for a friend of mine who has cancer.”

“Well, if that isn’t just like a hug-in-a-box,” she drawled.

Oh, how I liked that title! And I hope it feels like a big hug when E. opens it.

I was inspired to do this by Dad’s neighbors.
Their church makes polar fleece blankets for those who are sick. I thought I could do that for my friend. A tangible reminder that she is not alone and that she is in my prayers.

I came across this blog the other day and gradually over several days read through the archives. She inspires me. She participated in the Cap Haitien project (Becky, didn’t you do that too - or something like that?). Several moms at our former church knitted little teeny tiny hats for preemies in the Chicago area. Or you can make them out of knit fabric.

Maybe you don’t quilt or knit, but I am sure there is something you can do to send someone a ‘hug in a box’. Now I plan to work ahead and have some ready when the need arises. Good excuse to go buy fabric, yes?

Any other ideas for hugs in a box?

7 comments:

Candy said...

Very pretty, Cheri! I also like the thought of a hug in a box!

Lady Farmer said...

Cheri~
Everyone needs a hug now and then and your *hug in a box* is beautiful! Your friend will certainly feel loved! What a lovely idea!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Indeed that is the best description of your gift. And what a wonderful thing to get in the mail. I know it will be so cherished. Especially in the Northwoods :)

And yes, I DID do the baby hats for premies. I don't think mine went to Haiti as a whole. They were given all over the world as I remember. Who knows where mine ended up. But I have to tell you, it was one of the most rewarding things I have done of late. As I knitted those tiny little hats, I could not help but pray for the babes who would wear them, and the mamas who would worry over them.

Your lap blanket is so lovely. Just perfect!

Anonymous said...

Nice job Cheri. I think a "hug in a box" might include a big dark chocolate candy bar tucked in somewhere, some herbal tea, and a pleasant book to read. Linda

Anonymous said...

P.S. from yesterdays blog...enjoy the quilting time of your life....I'll follow you there in a few years...I saw some material at the store in town that I oohed and awed over for so long, I think the lady was going to tell me not to leave my fingerprints all over the merchandise. I could sure use a good Bible study lately. Linda

Chasing The Northern Dream said...

My mom and her quilting friends from church also make cancer quilts for friends and church members who are ill.

On some of the blocks they write or embroider Bible verses or hymns that are comforting.

Cheri said...

Thanks for the hug love, gals.

Linda , I hear ya!

Sarah, I knew I had heard of someone else doing that but couldn't remember who! Thanks!