Thursday, May 10, 2007

true confessions


As we sat down to dinner last night, I told Pat I had a confession to make.
"I've been reading some blogs that would surprise you," I said.
"Oh?" he responded.

I went on to tell him about the guy in Manhattan who, along with his wife and little daughter are trying to make no negative impact on the earth for a year. Then there is the gal who is trying to live plastic-free (no I'm not talking about credit cards - she is trying not to buy anything that has plastic in it, on it or around it) for a year. I didn't realize until I started reading her blog how difficult a task that would be. There are a few others I check in on now and then - me a religious conservative reading liberal environmentalist's blogs.

Shocking, I know. I don't agree with everything in these blogs, but I do appreciate their attempt to be careful with what they have been given.

I am not trying to save the earth. The earth is in God's hands and He has promised:
"As long as the earth endures,
seedtime and harvest,
cold and heat,
summer and winter,
day and night
will never cease."
Genesis 8:22

I'm not trying to save the earth by being careful with what I buy or don't buy, I'm trying to be careful with what I buy or don't buy to care for the resources God has graciously bestowed on us.

Today is a no-car day. I'm going to try to have three no car days a week. I have plenty of garden chores to keep me occupied here at home. Planting and transplanting and weeding. The tomatoes are coming up nicely as are the nasturtiums and lettuce. Jon's crabapple tree is in full bloom and has a wonderful fragrance. The bumblebees are very active in the tree doing their part to make sure we (or the next owners) have plenty of crabapples in the fall.

~~~~
Speaking of Jon, check out his blog to see if you can identify the picture he posted. Also leave a comment to let him know you are praying that their closing goes well today. Their first home!
Exciting times.

In other family news...guess who is now a motorcycle mama? And she blames it on me!

It is a beautiful day today - can't wait to get out and get my hands dirty!

5 comments:

Suzi said...

Having a "motorcycle" (really just a tiny step above a moped) is my way of
"being green."
Love, Suzi

Anonymous said...

I have been having some of those no car days too. I try not to go anywhere at least twice a week, more if I can help it. I can't imagine trying to buy anything now a days that DOESN'T have plastic attached to it in some way, shape or form.

Anonymous said...

A "Green Machine" in the family. We talked about it and I made her cry. Sorry about that.

Mean Father

Nate Shields said...

I've blogged...http://talesfromthebabblefield.blogspot.com/

Cheri said...

So Suzi,you have a lean, mean, green machine?

Patrice, you are so right - plastic is everywhere!

DOD you are not a mean father, just a concerned father.

Nate, I laughed out loud when I read your blog. I will link to yours here. Keep blogging!