Wednesday, August 29, 2007

shop talk


nasturtium

"You heard me," snarled the man in the next aisle at the store.
"The blankety-blank I did," retorted the woman.
The two shoppers exchanged heated words peppered with expletives as they argued about who should have been next in line.

A few days later, at another store, the man behind me was vociferously voicing his opinion.
We were waiting as the clerk did a price check on an item.
"I'm sorry," she said sweetly to those of us waiting in line.
"Not as sorry as we are," grumbled the grump behind me.

After a few minutes another lane was opened.
"Finally!" he hollered as he dashed toward that lane before anyone else could get there.

Tempers out of control; people unwilling to wait.

It is so much more pleasant to strike up a conversation with the person next to you in line about the weather or whatever, rather than make things unpleasant for yourself and those within earshot.

Those two shopping experiences reminded me of the following verses:

".....Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."
Romans 12:3

"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."
Col. 4:6

Perhaps these verses as well as the one in Proverbs that cautions us that a gentle answer turns away wrath should be posted at every checkout line in every grocery store.






"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

People are in such a hurry these days I think. They just don't leave themselves any time between things, and that brings out the worst. All about us. So sad. You said it well.

Anonymous said...

Haven't been on here for a few days...wondered if the granola works with steel cut oatmeal. Had my foolish flurry in a video store a few weeks ago that wouldn't reinburse me for a faulty game but required me to take a store credit which I didn't want. Being dutch can be detrimental to the spiritual witness....Linda

Cheri said...

You are right Becky. Rush, rush, rush. No time to be nice or at least act nice.

Linda, I think steel-cut would be fine. As long as they are not the quick-cooking kind which would brown way to fast in the crock-pot.

As far as your 'foolish flurry', I cannot imagine you were anywhere near as angry as the folks I witnessed. You are way too sweet!