Monday, December 10, 2007

still packin' and pitchin'

We got a lot done over the weekend, but there is still more to do. Pat actually had to start working yesterday as O'Hare was iced in and a lot of his instructors had to make changes in their flight and class plans. It was nice for him that the office was here at home so he didn't have to leave (and miss the Packers!).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had one of the funny practices yesterday with the Sunday School kids. Funny in retrospect, that is. First of all, it was difficult to corral the kids. We have a 'fellowship' time between the worship service and Sunday school. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, muffins, cookies.

I told the kids we would serve them snacks downstairs in the Sunday school room after we practiced in the sanctuary. I asked them to forgo the snacks upstairs and come straight to the sanctuary. You would have thought I had asked some of them (by no means all) to do something sacrilegious.

Finally we got them all in the sanctuary. I would like to say that everyone was calm, obedient and attentive. I would like to, but I can't. S. and J. were punching each other. C. was being stubborn and no one could get him to come up to the platform. Two of the little girls at two separate times fell over. Some of the kids were speeding up the tempo of the songs as if it were a race to see who could get done first.

It was just one of those practices. But later, once we were downstairs in our Sunday school room. We began discussing and practicing the rest of the program. Several of the kids will be reading Scripture as we 'Unwrap the Nativity'.

A peace and a calm descended upon the room and my heart as the kids read God's Word.

The Prince of Peace reminded me: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have read "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" at some point to your boys. If not, you need to get it and read it to yourself.

It is so wonderful. I have never seen a better rendition of the true meaning of Christmas. So good. In fact, I am missing the reading of it this year with no 3rd graders.

Cheri said...

Yes, I have and thought of it several times yesterday!

I may have to write my own version. This time with the 'church' kids behaving badly. Imagine that!