Friday, January 25, 2008

finally...


...after a (seemingly) long cold snap, I was able to walk outside again.


I really benefit from my early morning walks. I can clear my head, focus my thoughts on the Lord, gain wisdom for how to order my day...Since it was only four below this morning, I headed outside for the sounds of silence.

When I exercise in the morning on the bike, I listen to the news:

dire predictions about the housing market
dire predictions about global warming
dire predictions about the economy

Gloom and doom. Not very relaxing stuff.

It is supposed to get all the way up to 17 degrees above zero today. Get outside if you can, away from all the nerve jangling noises that surround us. Take a nice long, mind-clearing walk.


Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content.” Helen Keller

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Change the atmosphere in which you indoor bike/exercise. Uplifting music, recorded scripture, bird/deer watching if there's a window, inspirational reading while biking -- find your good thing. kjh

Anonymous said...

My grandmother would agree with you about sounds of silence. Her favorite chorus to an old hymn was:
"And He walks with me, and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own. And the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known." Spring is around the corner! Hasn't the sun been wonderful? Linda

Anonymous said...

I am busted today. I admit that I did not take my walk this morning because it was only 40 degrees.

I know ... I am a wimp ... a Florida wimp.

And yes, you are right, that quiet collection of thoughts is my favorite thing about walking. I can think. And I can hear.

Cheri said...

Good advice, Karen!

I love that chorus too Linda. I have enjoyed the sunshine of the past few days. Looking forward to spring!

Walking is a good time for listening, isn't it Becky?