Earlier and earlier. It is not unusual to see Christmas decorations in the stores, even prior to Halloween. The gardening catalogs are following suit, trying to get their share of our income.
Most of my catalogs arrived in December, a few have straggled in during the first days of the New Year. I'm sure they think they are trying to be helpful, but their arrival a full five months before our first frost-free day borders on cruel.
And then the names of the seeds/plants available....purple viking or yukon gold potatoes? Valentine rhubarb? Rembrandt spinach? Matchless butterhead lettuce? Empress of India nasturtiums? Bloody Butcher Indian Corn? Easter Egg radishes? Turkey craw cowpeas? Siamese Dragon Stir-fry mix? Georgia Rattlesnake Watermelon?
I'll take one of each, please.
As I leafed (pun intended) through one catalog, I noticed that hardly anything they sold would grow in our zone (3b). What were they thinking?
My indoor 'greenhouse' has been taken over by Pat's office. There is room in our bedroom to set up seedling trays and grow lights, but that is probably not a good idea. Maybe I can work out a barter deal with my friend M. who has an unheated greenhouse.
Or maybe we will be in Tennessee and I can actually plant things before Memorial Day.
I am very inspired by this family.
They live in Pasadena and typically raise between 5,000 and 6,000 pounds of food on 1/10th of an acre. They sell some, eat the rest.
We have over two acres here. Think how much we could grow!
Course there are the deer....and the late season frosts.....and the trees which produce shade which renders most of our property ungardenable...and the deer - did I mention them?
We shall see. In the meantime, I look over the seed catalogs and drool.

3 comments:
I am doing something this year. I AM! Being home full time has its advantages and I am taking it.
I figure I can put some things in pots (we have a hard time gardening in sand and then there is the unbearable heat which requires lots and lots and lots and lots of watering).
I'll have to blog my progress.
I have a new blog link, I just decided to change it for a few reasons. It is now http://abisadventures.blogspot.com.
Hey Abi,
I tried that link and it didn't work.
Any ideas?
I can't wait to hear more of your adventures!
Post a Comment