Friday, March 14, 2008

tough stuff

The top is all pieced and I machine quilted it yesterday. However, I think I like the look of hand quilting better. I am sorely tempted to rip out all the machine quilting stitches and hand quilt it. I've only got forty some days to finish it!

Our Bible study group is going through the workbook Seeking Him by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

I knew this would be a challenging study when we started, but I had no idea how challenging.

For example:
This week's chapter is call: "A Clean Conscience: Dealing with Offenses Toward Others."

It includes Scripture verses like this:
"Herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men." Acts 24:16

and
"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."
Romans 12: 18

Quotes like this:
"There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience." French proverb

"The testimony of a good conscience is the glory of a good man: have a good conscience and thou shalt ever have gladness." Thomas a Kempis

and

"I have to make an effort to keep my conscience so sensitive that I can live without any offense toward anyone." Oswald Chambers.

Then there is a list of penetrating questions. These are asked to help us examine our hearts.
It is a painful but necessary process. Here are a few examples:
  • Have you been guilty of gossip, slander or a critical spirit toward your pastor or any of the leaders of your church?
  • Has God placed any area of service on your heart that you have been unwilling to perform?
  • Do you have critical thoughts and attitudes toward anyone in your church? Have you verbalized those thoughts to others?
There are probably 40 0ther questions similar to these.

And then on the positive side:
If every believer in your community purposed to have a clear conscience and to pursue reconciliation of broken relationships, how might the impact be seen and felt?

I'm sure we will have a lively discussion next Monday. And if you see me in the meantime and notice that I am rather preoccupied, you are right. I'm busy examining my own heart.

I'm so thankful for a gracious and forgiving God!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Cheri:
I am a big fan of hand-piecing and hand-quilting, which in these hi-tech days makes me feel somewhat like a dinosaur. However -- your quilt is beautiful, and I would encourage you to leave it as it is and celebrate your accomplishment.

Then, on some future quilt, you might consider the possibility of doing the quilting by hand. I love the possibilities for prayerful meditation that I find when I have the fabric and needle in my hands; it might be something you'd like to try, too, starting with something small and going from there.

Also: what a treasure you received in the labor of love and creativity that resulted in the beautiful card and memory book. You will receive other expressions of love and appreciate, both verbal and material. You have done the same for many other people -- it's your turn to practice the grace of letting others minister to you.
Love,
kjh

Anonymous said...

My absolute favorite part of any quilting project is the hand quilting. However, I have never done a full sized quilt, only smaller ones like your baby quilt, tree skirts, table toppers, etc.

The satisfaction of hand quilting cannot be met.

HOWEVER ... don't you touch that beautiful baby quilt. I agree totally with kjh. No one but you is going to be able to tell. And you can do one for that baby's toddler bed when he grows out of his crib. Good for about a 2nd birthday. Gives you time to work on it.

I love how it turned out. Perfect!!

Cheri said...

Thanks, girls!