Monday, April 14, 2008

reminiscing

friends are friends forever....or else

Yesterday we went to the church that we had attended from 1995-2001 (the church where I was secretary last summer and fall).

I kiddingly dubbed our visit there our farewell tour. We got to see many dear people and say good-by. It was hard, but it was good. We have a lot of wonderful memories from our time there and hope that the people who said they will come visit us will actually do so.

Then we went to a potluck. Several close friends of ours were gathered there to talk to us about our plans and to reminisce. We shared many funny moments. We are so blessed to have so many good friends.

I don't suppose we will (at our advanced age) have the opportunity to again live 30 years in one place (this side of eternity anyway). Over the past 30 years we have built many strong friendships and are so grateful.

We were asked to share some of our memories from church. There are so many! After we got home, I continued to think about this. One of my fond memories is all the potlucks of year's past.

We have a new kitchen at church now, state of the art, very nice. But our old kitchen, down in the basement holds some very fond memories. The kitchen sinks are in the center island and there are two sets of double sinks facing each other. I have so many happy memories of doing dishes at those sinks. Two ladies on one side, two on the other. Chattering away with each other. It was not a chore to do dishes with this set-up. This was such a great design idea - at least from the fellowship aspect - that our sister church used this plan as well.

Many of the women I remember laughing and chatting with are with the Lord now. Women, who without even knowing it, guided me in my faith and my responsibilities as wife, mother and friend.

My heart is so full of gratitude. I can't possible express all the joy that I feel for having lived here in this beautiful area, surrounded by such great friends.

I am truly blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so neat Cheri. I had not thought of what you said, about living 30 yrs in one place. Ugh. We are getting old :)

momawake said...

All your posts about this move are so positive even in light of leaving dear ones. Are you sad? Do you have mixed feelings about leaving? Just wondering what you feel about it. I think I'm sad you're leaving and I don't even know you. ; ) I think I'll miss the posts from the north. But maybe I'll learn something about TN that I wouldn't have learned any other way.

Cheri said...

Yep, we are getting older, Becky (and better!).

Momawake, there are dual emotions going on in my heart. Sadness and gladness can coexist without diminishing the other. Isn't it amazing how God constructed our feelings?

Amy said...

I as well had mixed emotions when we moved from where I had lived most of my life. I was excited about a new and bigger house but yet I did not want to leave everything and everyone I knew.
May God bless you in your move!