Wednesday, April 16, 2008

repository

Some of you may wonder what is taking us so long to get packed. I mean, I've been at this downsizing for months now. And, thank you for asking, we are still not done.

After Pat's mom passed away in 2004, our home became the location of much of the family's history. As we are packing and sorting we have been opening up boxes we haven't looked in for a few years.

One such box was labeled R.F.S. (my father-in-law's initials) school through war years. In it were year books, school magazines (in which my father in law had both poetry and prose published) pictures and letters.

Pat's dad (Robert) was a photojournalist and served in World War II. I found the following letter was addressed to him:

Dear Robert,

I feel that through the many times we heard of you in Harry's letters that I know you well enough to call you Robert.

Mrs. Smith and I were in to call on your mother and dad on Sunday and found them both well, so I mention this fact as I know it will please you.

It is somewhat hard to write you as I have some little things to ask of you.

If it is possible that the personal belongings of Harry were intact, I thought perhaps I could get just a few of them that I will name. There was a diary that he intended to keep up and of which we read in part. It contained several entries that were so typical of Harry as we remember him. Also any pictures with him or any films he had with his picture on them. Also I would like to have that picture of your squadron like you sent your folks.

I don't know just how things are handled Robert, but if the personal belongings are gathered up I would like you to have the camera and equipment Harry had just bought.

If these things are being held by the officer in charge I would like very much as Harry's next of kin for this letter to be shown them as authority to give you those things as I know Harry would like you to have them as we know he cared very much for you from all his letters home.

Any expense you incur in sending things home will be sent you immediately that you let us know.

If at sometime you can find time, write me a letter and tell me just what happened on that day as I would like very much to learn exactly from one who was so close to Harry as you were. So if you can just give me the account of the morning, I will truly appreciate it.

There is not much more to say only that I hope and pray that you and all the rest of the boys in our services will be spared and that this war will soon end so you boys can return home with all the health and life with which you left your homes.

Harry's death is a terrible thing to his mother and I and still seems so unreal but we make every effort to be as good soldiers as we hope that he turned out to be till the end.

Our heart and hopes are in the Air Corps and it seems that you are the only real link that we have with it any more.

So drop us a line whenever possible and in closing, let me wish you and all the boys in your squadron a Happy New Year and may God bless you and spare each and everyone of you that remains.

Very truly yours,
F. H. Smith

This letter was dated December 30, 1941. 'That day' Mr. Smith referred to was December 7, 1941 - 'a day which will live in infamy'. Pearl Harbor. Pat's dad was there. We have pictures and letters that record history.

These, we keep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a treasure!
kjh

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Cheri. That gave me chill bumps to read it. It is amazing how it reads like a novel, reavealing just enough information to keep you going as you put the pieces together.

The other thing that hit me is that the very same letter could be written today, sadly, and dated 2008. I know there are plenty of families dealing with this tragedy still today, and will for as long as God leaves us all here to work out this life.

War lasts the test of time.

That is an amazing letter. Thanks for sharing it.

Molly said...

so interesting!

momawake said...

That is amazing to find a letter like that. How special.