We made it though, every year and finally this time I got to travel over it again for the first time in 18 years. The last time I was on this road was for my grandmother's funeral procession. See another picture here.Passing that road meant that Grandma and Grandpa's house was not far away. Now, Grandma and Grandpa are gone, the house has changed hands and appearance. Suzi, the old tree is gone, the tree with the homemade swing that kept us occupied for hours. We have our memories, though, don't we?
It was so good to see my aunt again (AR). Apparently we came a day earlier than she expected, but she welcomed us with open arms and fed us like royalty. Over the course of our time there we enjoyed spaghetti and meatballs, New England boiled dinner, stuffed peppers, broccoli casserole, and breaded pork chops - from a pig raised on the farm where my cousin works. Everything was delicious.
AR and I spent a little time singing together. I played the organ and we warbled in unison on several songs. She patiently answered my questions about family history and drove us all over the county showing us where different family members live or lived. We also spent time in the cemetery. Remembering, missing and reminiscing.
She showed me some of the sewing projects she is working on. I'm energized now to get that quilt of mine done.
My cousin George took me for a ride in his very cool restored Model A. Now that was fun. The rest of the time he and Dad talked about rocks and trucks and gas lines and big machinery and nuclear reactors. I was way out of my league.
My cousin Darlene very generously shared information with me about how to study your family's genealogy. She gave me all kinds of interesting websites to look at, showed me the notebook she has compiled of her side of the family and generally inspired me to work at finally getting everything in order for Pat's side of the family. Thanks, Darlene!
And my cousin Loie, closest in age to me came down to see us. We spent many happy childhood hours playing together at her house and out in the field next to Grandma and Grandpa's. She helps operate a farm stand, now that she is retired from teaching, and does all the things I would love to do -pick, plant, raise animals, preserve food. The years melted away as she and I spent part of one afternoon walking and talking. Our lives have taken very different paths, but the family ties and the love for one another remains strong.
The time went by all too quickly. The happy memories of my childhood have been reinforced and compounded by a very lovely visit. I want to visit again before another 18 years flies by.
3 comments:
Oops - left part of my e-mail address in the first comment - what I meant to say was - thanks for describing your trip. It sounds like you all had a great time. There are alot of great memories for all the Wells kids who traveled to Eldred every summer. These include stopping at Stuckey's truck stops (Mom would let us each get a magazine for the trip), driving on the Hawk's Nest, singing the Titanic song in the car, driving on Grandpa's red tractor and so much more!
It seems funny to me that even though we are 11 years apart (and yes, everyone, I'm the older) our memories are so similar!
Post a Comment