Saturday, November 15, 2008

cheap thrills

After I returned some patched pants to Dad the other night, he started reminiscing about his sisters and their homemaking skills.

Aunt Dotty was the seamstress. She died when I was only 13, but I remember her fondly. She was a very spiritual woman, a quality I greatly admired, even though I was a young teen. She had a great sense of humor, likely brought about by my dad's incessant teasing and pestering.

Dad mentioned that Aunt Dotty would do much of the family mending (a family of seven) and she made most of her own clothes. One of her mending chores included 'turning collars'. When I asked what that was he explained.

The next morning when I stopped by Mom and Dad's two shirts with frayed collars were waiting for me.

Some of you dear readers will be very impressed with the following. Most of you will think, why in the world would you try to mend something like that? DOD can certainly afford to buy a new shirt or two.

Because I can. Because it is the tightwad thing to do. Because I am joining in the President-elects redistribution of wealth program. If Dad doesn't have to buy new shirts, he has more money left for 'appropriation' (that ought to get a comment from somebody...).




I removed the collars from both of the shirts. Turned the collars around and stitched them into place. Actually, I basted one into place first, because it is a little dressier solid color shirt and I wanted to make sure it turned out right.
If I was a tightwad with any self-respect, a true black-belt tightwad, I would have saved the thread from ripping out the seam and basted with that. I didn't.
I have such a long way to go.not a-frayed any more



Both shirts are respectable again and show no signs of wear and tear. It took me less than an hour to accomplish this surprisingly easy task. And it gave me an inordinate sense of pride and accomplishment.
Ask Pat. And tell him to look out, I'm going through his shirts next.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, that was awesome Cheri. I have thrown out some of Mark's favorite shirts because the collars were frayed. Especially his flannel shirts. His whiskers are thick and they ruin shirts pretty quick. I've always wondered what that phrase meant. I'm checking the closet later today! Tell you dad thanks for the tip-and keep them coming!
Karen P.

Anonymous said...

"Re-Distribution" of wealth is a bad thing. It penalizes those who have succeeded.
MORE distribution of wealth is a good thing. It helps lots others succeed.
(just my 2 cents)
I have plenty of shirts with frayed collars. Been waiting for an address to mail them to. Look for the FedEx truck.

:>))

Anonymous said...

I can darn socks (DARN socks!) and patch jeans but I have never even heard of turning collars.

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

You are really talented. Almost all of my husband's favorite shirts have frayed collars - I wonder if I can attempt to mend them........ you have inspired me to attempt it.

I hope you'll accept the "Premium Dardos Award" I'm giving you for your blog. I enjoy your blog and appreciate your contributions. If you accept, you can post the image of it by copying it from my blog at http://backtobasicliving.com/blog/hey-i-got-a-blog-award/ I think this is a great way for blogger to honor and promote each other.

Take care,
Penny

Anonymous said...

My comment is late but I wanted to write anyway...I haven't seen anyone talk of turning collars for ages! We turned cuffs too and of course put in new pants pockets etc when needed. Put false hems in dresses if they needed let down or put rick rack over the old hem line marks . Made the kids clothes with growth tucks made into them. Make clothes out of old men's suits or anything others do not want. Etc. Keeps us creative doing this and that...and its fun! When I talk of darning soxs or even canning food people look at me as if I am from Mars! So funny!! Never mind I will keep doing it. I am new to your site but will certainly be back to find out more I can learn and or enjoy hearing others do!! ;-) Thankyou so much for sharing and mentoring a new generationthat out there. Jody

Anonymous said...

This is something I had heard my mother talk about, but I don't recall actually seeing her doing it. My mom and dad had several young children in the depression years, and they were experts at "using it up, wearing it out, making do or doing without". Thank you for the reminder!