Friday, May 15, 2009

misadventures

KimmeeSue - in good weather

Yesterday, B. (a friend from Bible study) went to pick strawberries. We decided to start at the place closest to home, even though, last year the flavor had not been great. We were hopeful that this year's plentiful rains the berries would be sweeter.
Before we left we called the berry patch. Closed. Letting the berries rest.
No problem, we knew of two other patches. Patch #2 is about 25 miles up the road. When we arrived we were greeted with a sign. "Closed today. Berries are resting." Who knew strawberries needed rest?
Patch #3 is off the beaten path. I thought I could find my way there, but there were no signs anywhere to direct us. We came to the conclusion that those berries must have needed rest too.
What to do? Head back home in defeat with nary a berry ?
Not us. Somehow, though we could not find a pickable berry, we managed to find a Starbucks and Hobby Lobby and salvaged the morning. We had a great time.
~~~~~~
Storm clouds were brewing yesterday evening, but Pat and I were confident that we had enough time to walk down to Mom and Dad's and back. We could hear rumbles of thunder in the distance. Once there, we discovered that KimmeeSue had already made her preparations for the storm. When there is thunder and lightning, she heads for the car.
She feels so much safer there and she is probably right. Don't you wonder how dogs think?
"Oh, that's thunder. Gotta get to the car."
She is so cute and funny. She stared me out the door this morning. Perhaps she held me responsible for the storm, but honestly, I had nothing to do with it.
On our walk, I remarked to Pat that I found it interesting that we had never lost power during a storm down here. On a clear, calm afternoon, yes, but never during a storm.
Well, guess what. Lost power last night. From nine to midnight. At midnight we were up, resetting clocks. Then the power went out again for about 10 minutes. Up again, resetting clocks.
All is well this morning. The early fog has lifted. Kimmee has emerged from the car. Clocks are not blinking.
But I still don't have any strawberries. Wonder if they have gotten enough rest?

3 comments:

Candy said...

Sounds like a perfect day to me! I have never been in a Hobby Lobby, but from what I have heard, I would like it!

Anonymous said...

What a day! Hope your strawberries wake up soon! Linda

Cheri said...

You would like Hobby Lobby, Candy. It is owned by a Christian man. Praise music is played over the store's sound system. You can get supplies for any craft you might imagine!

Thanks, Linda. Me too!