The past. I love it. I love reliving memories, looking at old photos and reminiscing. When Mom and I went to her friend's funeral, we got to do all that. Drove past my Grandmother's home, walked on streets I had walked on in my childhood, as had my mother and grandmother before me. Sat in the church where my parents were married and I was baptized and Grandma and my Uncle both have taught Sunday School.Here is what the LORD says: “Stand at the crossroads and look; ask about the ancient paths, ‘Which one is the good way?’ Take it, and you will find rest for your souls.” Jeremiah 6:16
Aunt Casey's funeral was simple and fairly short. The pastor exhorted us to honor her memory by following her example. Love God. Love your family. Love children (she was a school teacher for 25 years).
Prior to the funeral, Aunt Casey's three sons stood beside her casket and greeted people. In a not very morbid (I hope) way, I mentally pictured my three sons doing this someday. They are my legacy and I couldn't be more thankful for those big and medium sized lugs.
Lots of ponderments this past week. The meaning and brevity of life. The importance of family. The memories of the past that have shaped who I am today. The treasures of friendships that span decades.
Sometimes it takes a funeral to get you thinking about what is really important.
No comments:
Post a Comment