Wednesday, June 17, 2009

today's post

oak leaf hydrangea


Pat killed a black widow spider that was hanging out under the hinge of our mailbox. We had noticed the tell tale crisscross messy looking web, but had seen no spider. A long spray of spider killer outed the culprit and she is no more.

Our trees are still not planted. The gal in charge of the project called yesterday and sounded terrible. We hope she gets well soon. In the meantime we water and put the trees back upright when the winds blow them over. (Often)

I made some cherry cobbler yesterday. Oh, yum. Our neighbor invited us to pick (sour) cherries from their tree. We picked about a quart. My goodness, that cobbler is good. And almost gone. We did share with Mom and Dad.

I had also made a gallon of cole slaw last week after the farmer's market. That, too, is gone. And good. Yep, shared with Mom and Dad.

And I keep forgetting to post the recipe for rhubarb bars. They were delicious, though their appearance was not too appetizing. They looked kind of like celery bars. I'll post the recipe tomorrow, because the farmer's market opens in ten minutes and I don't want to be late!

edited to add: Our tree lady just called. She has food poisoning! Poor thing. No tree planting today. Maybe tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if people grow Nanking Bush Cherries there. Maybe they don't need to because normal cherry trees grow so well. But here in the north, Nankings have given us good cherries and a pretty bush, but now are succumbing to some sort of disease. It will be my third effort at cherries in the Northwoods and I will continue to baby them back to health. I love cherries and grew up eating them off of my grandma's tree in California. She (having lived through the depression) canned every spare cherry that didn't get eaten, so we had them all winter.
I am glad you are able to find and destroy those pesty spiders. I have caught and "jarred" several mystery bugs in the garden and am trying to determine if they are friend or foe! I am happy to report that it is 70 degrees here today. The garden is basking in the heat. Hope you are doing well. Linda

Cheri said...

I'm not sure about the Nankings, Linda. I'll have to check.

Next year we plan to plant more fruit trees. One thing at a time.

Mystery bugs. Yech. It is good to know the enemy. Are you taking them in to the County Extension?

Glad to hear it is not snowing there. You have had a rough start to your 'summer'.