I have never been the kind of 'sewist' (which reads better than 'sewer') to stash fabric. I buy what is needed for a given project.
And yet somehow I seem to have developed a fabric stash.
Not being able to turn down free fabric has resulted in a bit of a collection of fabric.
Since none of my three beautiful daughters-in-love sew, I have taken it upon myself to bust my stash. They are not going to want this stuff when I am gone. While I have no plans to depart soon - one never knows.
![]() |
| I enjoy making these stockings. It is a nice combination of hand and machine work. Very portable too and not boring even after making 11. |
Over the years I have made Chistmas stckings for all 6 grandchildren as well as two sets of their parents. And one for a baby shower gift. 11 stockings. There has been some leftover fabric.
So my first stash busting assignment is to see how many more stockings I can make out of the remaining fabric. Without buying anymore. I think the answer is 4-6 and that should really deplete my Christmas fabric. Which is what I am going for. These will make nice baby shower gifts or maybe wedding gifts.
I made this table runner several years ago. A combination of a thrift store dresser scarf and fabrics on hand. I could probably make a few more of these as well. For gifts. How many table runners does one need?
Somehow, there is also plenty of felt in my stash. I could make more Christmas ornaments like the above, since I saved the pattern I bought from Alicia. Pattern here.
Unless my 3 year old grandson wants one of these, I don't anticipate making another pillow sham(this was made for 9 year old Josh). But I could - I still have the orangey and lime green fabric left!
I made baby quilts for each grandchild too. I think I have enough fabric to make at least two more. Because I am hoping for one, maybe two more grands. Hear that kids?
Anyway, my plan is to considerably reduce my fabric supply. Once I have finished the bigger projects I plan to make some make-up bags, pencil bags, totes, ornaments, coffee cozies etc. Smaller things to use up the stash and build a supply of little gifts on hand for that moment when you need a special something for a friend.
(Both Patsi and Annabel recommend keeping a gift pantry, closet, trunk...whatever you call it it is smart to have some special handmade or frugally purchased gifts on hand.)
So starting today, with cutting our a few stockings - I am going to 'sew all the fabric'.



4 comments:
Those projects are gorgeous. It would take a long time to "sew all the fabric" I have on hand! But, it's always a good goal. Over the years, I've gathered quite a bit. When we moved, I gave a bunch of it away, but kept several bins full. I was able to make a couple of stockings (simple, not works of art like yours) from some of it, and have plans for a couple more pieces. It was fun to see your projects!
Becky, thank your for stopping by and for your kind words. What kind of projects fo you plan to make with your fabrics?
I would like to make a fleece poncho from a pattern I purchased. It would be for a little girl we are close with, and it has a little different shape than a traditional poncho (triangle). I also always keep enough on hand for skirts. Sometimes, I want to whip up a skirt or two for my youngest daughter. I sewed a lot for the older children when they were younger. They don't want home-sewing any more, they prefer to buy their clothing. Since sewing clothing for little children is so fun, I also sew and give the items for gifts once in a while.
Then....there are the quilting projects. Over the years, I have started various quilting projects, even going so far as to take classes for months at a time, only to get the quilt close to finishing and have something happen to stop the progress. It's usually kid-related. One specific time I remember was when I was watching 3 nieces for a week. I was going full-bore on a certain quilt, the kids came, and that was that! For a few years, I would take the quilting projects when we went camping, and that was the only time I touched it from year to year. I was thinking I would get some of these things finished as I grew older, but then the Lord unexpectedly blessed us with yet another child via adoption 4 years ago (#8)....we moved which entailed cleaning out property with a large house and several outbuildings...homeschool continues with my 7th child and we added her cousin to the mix.....I'm having to work a few more hours than I did before....and on it goes! Recently, I have been able to better organize my supplies and so now, after 1 year here, I have confidence that I can actually do a project because I can find the parts and pieces!!
But Christmas break is now over, school begins Monday, and I have happily filled the holiday with friends and family yet again, leaving very little time for projects. I am still filled with hope, as always, that the New Year will bring renewed resolution, and projects will move up to the top of the list once again, at least for a while:) I do remind myself that the projects will always be there---the people might not---so I'm not upset with my choices. I just need to find time to do both!!
You are making very wise choices, Becky. I had no idea you had such a full life! There will be time when the nest is empty to tackle those sewing projects.
Always - people before projects!
Post a Comment