It was my sister's idea. She, the office administrator, felt that we could keep our family in touch with each other through a spread sheet. I, the skeptic, wasn't sure it would work.
But it has - for three years now. Lots of give and take, hundreds of updates and even pictures. Who knew? My sister, that's who.
She is the admin for the spreadsheet but I am the main contributor. The only one of the four of us who is retired, I call Dad every day for a chat and an update. He has had several health scares these past few years, Mom has had Alzheimer's for nearly 13. Hence the updates.
I have a prayer journal of my mother's, which I am currently transcribing and posting to the sheets. It is from 1989. Mom and Dad had just moved to Romania, Dad working for a US based Fortune 500 company involved with nuclear energy.
Mom was lonely, isolated. Couldn't speak the language, didn't know anyone. Shopping was unfamiliar - I don't even think she could drive. Their apartment frequently suffered from energy outages (ironic, since Dad was trying to get the nuclear energy program online) and sometimes they didn't have water.
Instead of complaining, Mom's journal is filled with thanksgiving. For simple things like strawberries, apples, a ride in the country.
When she was tempted to self pity, she asked God to help her guard against it. She asked Him to show her ways to help others.
And He did, but that it a story for another day.
~~~~~~~~
I see my mother's thankfulness modeled in my three siblings. They are delightful people to hang out with. I am so thankful for them!
~~~~~~~~~~
In my quest to get five Christmas stockings done by the end of the month, yesterday's to do list included 'make binding for stockings'. If you make your own binding you are not limited to the usual solid colors available in fabric stores. Making your own binding is not hard but it requires time and concentration. Both are in short supply when one is babysitting a two year old granddaughter.
Imagine my delight when I found an ample supply (yards!) of handmade binding - which, joy of joys, coordinates with the stockings I am making!
I am so thankful to God for opening my eyes to the task already done a few years ago (and forgotten about). It is a great time saver and I am following my mother's example and giving thanks.
![]() |
| Not your typical fabric store binding! |


4 comments:
Hi! I keep needing reminders to be thankful! Great idea to write down what you have sewed. (from previous post) Nancy
This is beautiful.
Thank you for inspiring. : )
Have a cozy evening!
Thank you ladies for checking in. Yes, writing down what we are grateful for and what we have sewn are two habits I am trying to cultivate.
I have found being grateful for what I do have has been tremendously helpful to me as well. There are times when I wish things were different, but focusing on the "good" keeps me moving forward in a helpful way. There have been many, many times in my life where I have asked God to show me one good thing in a certain day, and He has always been faithful, even in the darkest times. It helps when I read in Psalms as well.
Post a Comment