Thursday, February 20, 2020

inspired by Grandma part 5

two reasons we can't grow much of a garden - deer and trees
how many deer can you see?


Other resource saving tips:

WATER:
When I am running water to let it heat up for washing, I capture the runoff water for drinking, cooking, watering plants, etc.

GREASE:
I save the grease from cooking bacon.  I use this grease for cooking potatoes or other dishes that would compliment the flavor.

OTHER ITEMS OF TRASH:
Butter wrappers.  I save these in a plastic bag in the freezer.  I use these for greasing baking pans.

Cereal box liners.  Although we rarely buy commercial cereal, when I do I save the inner liner.  I use this for rolling out pie crusts, making tortillas on my tortilla press,  tenderizing   or smashing dry bread into crumbs.  My dad always took this one step further.  He would cut the cereal box apart, trace his feet on the box, cut out the foot prints and slip it inside his boots.  I think this was a holdover from his childhood - trying to make footwear last as long as possible.  He also polished his boots every time he wore them.  

Foil and plastic bags.  If I have not used the foil or plastic to store meat, I wipe down (foil) or wash (plastic bags) and reuse.

Glass jars.  Of course, I save and reuse all my canning jars.  But I also save straight sided jars from the grocery store.  These are great for freezing .  My freezer currently has more canning jars in it than plastic zip type bags.  I am a little suspicious of storing food in plastic. I have glass jars with chopped onions, chopped peppers, blueberries, corn, turkey broth, chicken broth, ham broth, peels, sloppy joes, spaghetti sauce, chili, peas….in the freezer.  As long as you use straight sided jars and  leave about an inch of head space you shouldn’t have a problem with breakage.  Also I don’t put hot liquids straight into the freezer but slowly cool them down first.


Some of the above lessons were directly learned but Grandma but many more were inspired by her way of life.  I am so glad Dad told me not to leave so much 'potato on the peel'. I don't use all of the ideas I have shared every time, but I use them as often as I can.  Not to be miserly, but to watch for ways to be a better steward of the things with which God has blessed me.  I store food for family,  and try to live frugally and responsibly so I have plenty to share.

And speaking of sharing - I’d be interested to hear some of your ideas!
.


6 comments:

Rebecca T said...

Loving these memories and all this wisdom. Wished I'd learned more from my grandmother when she was still alive...

Cheri said...

Thank you, Rebecca! I too, wished I'd learned more from both my grandmothers. Now that I am a grandmother, I feel like it is my responsibility ( and Joy!) to keep learning and teaching.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your articles. There is so much waste in our country.

Cheri said...

Thank you, unknown. I'm always trying to figure out to reduce waste in our home. It can be a fun challenge!

Winkel's Crazy Ideas said...

What a lovely post and blog. Found it via down to earth. Doing a little blog - hopping with my morning coffee. I grew up on an old Farm by the sea. My parents and grandparents all lived frugal lives. We only ever bought what we needed and threw away very little. It all makes so much sense to me, and I do a lot of the same things myself now, as an adult. My father would use cardboard, like cereal boxes, for all sorts of things too. Blessings, Pam in Norway

Cheri said...

Thank you for stopping by, Pam in Norway! We can learn so much from those who have come before us.