....between rain showers this morning. Got a little wet about a quarter mile from home, but that is okay. We really need this - red alert warnings flashed across the television screen yesterday. Fire danger.
Today the to-do list is long. In addition to preparing and shopping for tomorrow night's dinner for 100, we are in the midst of a project. We started to remove wallpaper from one short wall in one room. The top wallpaper came off in a matter of minutes. The underlayment is taking a bit longer - but the initial wallpaper which was pasted on to un-prepped walls (when the house was built) is a real bugger to remove.
Pat and I spent a collective 9+ hours yesterday working away at it. We are using diluted fabric softener, so the house smells good, but the shoulder and back muscles are a little sore and blisters are developing.
Today is a good day for a project like that though. The rain will keep me indoors and perhaps in another nine or so hours we will be done with that little wall.
Then on to the kitchen.
"He bestows rain on the earth; He sends water upon the countryside." Job 5:10
4 comments:
Hey Cheri,
I'm sorry you are having such a hard time removing the wallpaper. The stores around here sell a wallpaper stripper called DIFF that works wonderfully. You have to remove the topcoating of paper, then use the little scoring tool that cuts small slashes into the backing paper so that the remover can penetrate the paper more easily to loosen the glue. You could also type steaming small sections with your iron (if you have the kind or iron that you can hold upright and release a burst of steam). Hope it goes easier for you today.
I sure wish I could come over and help you remove wallpaper. No, I really do. I know the job is a bummer in itself, but I'd love a day of chatter and hot tea on a rainy day, with YOU, my favorite professional volunteer.
I used your "professional volunteer" phrase last night in our small group. We are discussing the lack of "service mode" hearts in the Christian community.
Our world is such a needy place. Of course there is always the need for Christ. But there is a need for the necessities in life - food, shelter, health care, etc. We were talking about our responsibility to meet those needs and how overwhelming it is.
But if we look at our community here, there are needs that we can do something about. Our church is in the middle of a series on "saving the world by serving our community". Anyway, I wanted to tell you that it had really struck a nerve with me. We will be helping to coordinate and organize the letter carrier food drive in May. Last year our community fiilled 3 semis full. The food is used to feed the homeless children in our county.
Every Friday the kids in the public school system who are homeless, or just hungry, receive a backpack full of non perishable food to take home. The family eats over the weekend, and the kids return the backpack on Mondays to be refilled again.
I didn't mean to make this such a long comment, but I thought you might be interested to see how timely your comment was for our group.
Oh, and about Rascal ... I'd take a room FULL of Rascals as opposed to a "Rude" or a "Disrespectful" or a "Troublemaker". Rascal has a GREAT attitude and is so endearing. I will miss him.
I had thought of calling you and borrowing your shoulder muscles this past weekend but I see they were already being put to good use. As you are a fellow female firewood stacking manager, I thought you would have enjoyed moving ALL of my firewood with me to a different location in my yard. Our neighbors cut down 8 beautiful pines lining the border of our properties, which our firewood leaned against. They are grounding the stumps today..thus, the rush to move firewood. I am assuming this muscle toning will combat my osterporosic tendencies. We will compare muscles next time we meet. Hope the home remodeling goes well. We can relate.....Linda
Thanks for the advice/sympathy girls!
Patrice, it sounds like you have some experience - wish you lived closer. :)
You too, Becky, and those are some great ideas for helping the hungry.
We made a fair amount of progress today, but there is still more to do.
Linda, I would have loved to help you. We should form some kind of chore/ renovation/cleaning co-op. It is always more fun to work together!
Post a Comment