...of the gal who started the bi-monthly dinners at the food pantry, was that they would become community events. Various churches and civic groups throughout the area have provided dinner; tonight it is our turn.
When I first began working at the food pantry a few years ago, my motivation was to help those in need - doing it 'as unto the Lord'. That is still my motivation, but I have discovered that I can't come in with an attitude of "You're poor, I'm not - aren't I nice to come here to help you?"
As I have worked at the food pantry, I have met some very dear people. The man battling cancer, the elderly woman devastated after her daughter's death, the son who picks up food for his elderly parents, the neighbor who picks up food for her terminally ill friend, those who have had babies, have recently landed new jobs or moved to the area.
Tonight, we will sit and visit with these folks. We might start off talking about the weather as we begin conversation. Invariably we find some common ground of discussion - gardening, reading, 'how 'bout those Packers', music, etc. Then dialog really begins.
I have learned a lot from these folks who persevere and maintain good attitudes in the midst of difficult circumstances. And I thought I was helping them?
~~~~~~
I am so grateful to all who have stepped forward to help out at tonight's dinner. I haven't had to beg, twist arms or 'guilt' anyone into it. Lots of willing volunteers. Thank you.
My lists are ready. Lists of helpers. Lists of people bringing food. Lists of set-up chores, serving chores, clean-up chores. One grocery list all checked off. One more grocery list for last minute things. The hamburgers are all ''pattified', the desserts are made.
My favorite brother in the Lord is picking up a coupla grills this afternoon. The grillers will show up at the appointed hour. As the pantry recipients pick up their food this afternoon, they will be enticed over to the dinner by the smell of hamburgers on the grill.
Hamburgers, potato salad, carrot sticks, a special ice cream dessert.
Let's have a party!
1 comment:
That dinner sounds fit for a king (or a queen). Isn't that wonderful? Treated like you're special instead of treated like you're needy. What a lovely concept.
Have FUN!
Post a Comment