The back of the van was full of stuff to recycle. I'm pretty good about taking stuff in to the recycle center on a regular basis, but now as we (cram) fit Pat's office into our basement we are being a little more ruthless in getting rid of stuff.
Only the 'dump man' was at the center. He helped me unload the van - probably 50+ pounds of cardboard/glossy paper/office paper. All this went into a paper masher to be baled and taken...somewhere.
I also had some bottles, cans and plastic containers. This went into full to over-flowing bins.
Although I am very thankful that so many people are recycling, I am also appalled at the waste generated in our little community over a few days. And this is just the tip of the iceberg I am sure. Many don't recycle, many have their garbage picked up at home.
And some, with no regard to beauty or the environment, simply toss their trash out their car windows to litter the highways and byways.
My point? I don't know, I guess I'm just ranting. It does take extra time to rinse out bottles, remove labels from cans, etc. I'm trying more than ever to keep garbage from even coming into the house. I don't buy bottled water (except when we go to Cornerstone), I rarely buy pop, I make most food from scratch eliminating excessive packaging from ready made foods.
I like to buy food from our local bulk food places where most stuff is packaged in simple plastic bags. I reuse most of these, eliminating the need to buy ziploc type bags.
I'm even carrying some of my recycling ideas over to Sunday school. For many years I have been bothered by the fact that the kid's Sunday school lesson papers often litter the parking lot or the church hallways.
This year, each child has a sketchbook. Each week as we teach the lesson, they draw what they learned. They love this. I love this. They will have something at the end of the year that will be a keepsake. The parents seem to love this too.
They are quite creative in the way they depict some of the stories of Jesus. I'll have to take some pictures and show you one of these days.....
Rant over.
3 comments:
Preach it sister! I'm with you. My biggest pet peave is the trash that litters our roads and parking lots. I have been following people who, when they finish their drive-thru drink, simply open the window and toss it out.
It baffles me what they are thinking. Who do they think cleans up after them?
I rant about it too. But I do something about, just like you do. We recycle more than we throw away in a given week. Truly.
I hope things will be settled in the basement for you soon. And is Pat going to be warm enough down there? Does he have heat? I'm worried about the poor guy ya know.
Agree 100% !!
Yes, Becky, Pat will be plenty warm. He has heat and the woodstove makes this level of the house pretty toasty.
I'll let him know you were thinking about him!
Post a Comment