Saturday, March 15, 2008

two months from today...

turkey in the woods

...is our targeted moving date. Yikes.

Yesterday I went to pick up some stuff at a friends. As I traveled along one of our Northwoods back roads, I came upon a flock (if you can call four a flock) of wild turkeys.

They were in the middle of the road. I slowly approached them and soon they looked up startled by the oncoming silver mini van. They began to hightail it down the road. Have you ever watched turkeys run for all their worth down a snow covered road?

Quite a sight. They looked like a ....bunch of turkeys.

They realized I was gaining on them and headed into the woods. I was only able to get a picture of one of them.

I can relate to the turkeys. Most of the time, I am minding my own business, doing my own thing. Eating in the middle of the road, so to speak.

Then I realize that we have a looming deadline. And I run down the road trying to get other things done, before it dawns on me that I really need to head into the woods and get down to business.

Okay, maybe that's a lousy analogy.

But today, after I run some errands, practice piano, work on my (last!) Sunday school lesson, do some laundry, sew the binding on the baby quilt, I'm going to get down to business and pack up some boxes.

Have a great weekend everybody!

2 comments:

Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

I also had an experience with turkeys on Friday. I was in the suburb of Mahtomedi, near White Bear Lake, north of St. Paul about 15 miles. It is a fully developed area, but the house on which I worked had a half acre wooded lot. I was in the walkout basement and at a bedroom window came four huge wild turkeys, 30+ pounders(?). The sun was shining brightly, so I'm not sure if they saw me inside. They probably saw their own reflection and came right up to the window. We were almost nose to nose. I wish I had my camera. In talking to the new owners of the house, I guess they are regular visitors.

After staring at (or through) the window for a few minutes, they went to the back of the yard where they hung out with three to four deer.

I'll try to remember my camera on Monday.

Cheri said...

Hopefully those are the only turkeys you encounter at work!