
I am probably my own worst enemy when it comes to packing, at least packing quickly. I found a box in the back of a spare room closet and instead of just sealing it up and stacking it with other boxes, I opened it and began reading letters.
This letter was from my mother-in-law to her mother. Both Pat's mom and dad were great writers. Here is an excerpt from the letter dated November 18, 1943:
"Got your letter this noon and thought I'd get started on the answer before I stick supper in the oven (fine place to stick anything). We're having lamb and lima bean casserole this P.M. ---purely experimental. He loves limas and I tolerate lamb so maybe it will turn out to be another special like the sausage potato boats. Who knows? Seems like since he's taking his lunch we never have any red points. Take this week f'rinstance. 6 points for bacon, 6 for margarine, 5 for Crisco, 4 for ham sandwiches and 2 for cheese spread, which leaves us 9 points, haha for meat for seven days. What a laugh. He takes two sandwiches a day, one of each kind and he gets pointless stuff too such as Kraft sand. spread (ugh!) and peanut butter and olives. I have some marmalade I cornered before points were necessary but he's decided he doesn't like it after all so I can't use that with the peanut butter which has gone dry because I thought it would save to get a large jar. Also, I never have enough blue points and these people who fill up two baskets at a time with canned goods make me mad. I don't waste any points, count 'em more that any other Denverite. Expenses have been higher lately what with his taking lunches and Christmas, etc. so I don't feel we ought to eat out which means even less points. Only have three points left for Sat. night and will use two for liver and have one to start the week, oh happy day....Luckily there's a store open around here Sunday when points are good again. I'm afraid he's tired of spaghetti too and I sure am sick of that prepared Kraft macaroni. Had to buy three packs to get all the good out of my one point and have been eating it every other week since. Have half a box to go but am too tired of it to even mention it. Besides, now that Gink [my father-in-law's nickname] only gets sand. for lunch I feel that he ought to have a super do of a dinner when he gets home but how on nine points? Here I've filled up most of a page on my point(ed) woes. Don't let it worry you though. We make out but I sure could use a baked ham to advantage. Them days is gone for too long a time to come."
I did a little research on the ration point system during World War II. Well, actually I just googled 'red blue ration points World War II' (can we really call that research?) and found the following:
"During World War II rationing was designed primarily to distribute scarce goods reasonably equitably. The mechanics of the rationing programs changed over time but remained replete with red tape, including coupons, certificates, stamps, stickers, and a changing point system.
Sugar, the first item rationed nationwide in May 1942, started the process, followed by coffee. People lined up at public places staffed by volunteers who took depositions on how much sugar each family already had at home and then issued ration books containing coupons good for a year's supply. Over time the number of rationed items grew as did the red tape. Eventually three billion ration stamps a month would be passed from the consumer to the retailer, who passed them on to the wholesaler, who sent them to the manufacturer, who had to account for them to the federal government.
Soon other items were rationed as well, including processed goods such as canned, jarred, dried, frozen, and bottled products, followed by meat, fish, and dairy items. Two ration books were distributed to every eligible man, woman, child, and baby in the United States. One contained blue coupons for processed goods while the other contained red coupons for meat, fish, and dairy products. Each person started with 48 blue points and 64 red points each month. Thus, the shopper for a family of four had a total of 192 points for processed food and 256 points for meats, fish, and dairy products. Each month brought new ration stamps as the old ones expired. Each stamp had a number on it designating the points it was worth as well as a letter showing which "rationing period" the stamp could be used. Each rationed product had a point value assigned to it that was independent of the price.
The point value could fluctuate depending on scarcity and grocers were required to keep current official point lists posted. Thus, a scarce can of beans might have a point value of 14 while a more plentiful can of corn might have a value of 8. At the checkout counter, the shopper was to remove the proper amount of stamps in the presence of the clerk. Point management was critical to effective shopping since the number of points available was limited by the rationing period. Moreover, grocers could not make change so shoppers were advised to use high-point stamps first. By 1944 constantly evolving regulations resulted in a simplified plan that, among other things, introduced one point tokens to be given as change."
Sources:
Library of Congress, 2006 [cited 28 August 2006]. (http://www.loc.gov/)
No wonder Victory gardens gained so much popularity. If I had to endure the dizzying regulations of the ration point system, I would have gladly chosen to go outside and play in the dirt to feed my family. We have so much to learn from the generation that carefully scrimped and saved and planned.
We have been doing a little rationing of own these days. Nothing like my mother-in-law described, of course, we've simply been trying to stay out of the store and eat what we have on hand - so we don't have to move it.
As you may know, I like to think of myself as a thrifty shopper. So over the years, I have tried to buy food at the cheapest price possible and when possible buy quantities at the lowest price to enhance my savings.
Did that last sentence make any sense?
So....when we sold the house, I realized we had a decent quantity of food that we would need to eat up before moving date. And you know what? We are going to come out pretty well. During the next two weeks, we should be able to finish up most of what we had on hand. Don't worry, I gave away most of the seven pounds of pinto beans I had stored, so they have not figured into our menu on a daily basis.
Consequently I have not had to go to the grocery store much lately. I stopped there today to pick up a few things. Ten things. It was THIRTY DOLLARS! And I didn't even buy any meat.
I had heard that prices were going up on everything but hadn't paid much attention because we have not needed to buy much.
When we move to Tennessee, I am going to need to hone my shopping skills and plant a very big garden.
I'll be reading more of my mother-in-law's letters to gain tips and of course use my favorite resource, our new neighbors: DOD and Mom who taught me everything I know about saving money.
6 comments:
I loved this long post :) YOu are so right that we could learn a lot from that .. the greatest generation according to Tom Brokaw.
I consider myself a very frugal shopper and minimalist. We were doing "strange" things before being green was even popular.
But .. in the last 2 weeks I have made even more changes and am in the process of additional changes as I speak.
You will be proud of me. I planted cherry tomato seeds, full sized tomato seeds, zuccinni, green beans, peppers, and lettuce. The lettuce I planted a month ago and we have been eating off of it for a week now.
It is all planted in pots. And I am going to bring in dirt (we have sand here in FL and nothing of real eating value will grow) and build a form and start my garden. Finally.
The prices have pushed me to do what I have really always wanted to.
In addition, we are heading to our Farmer's Market tomorrow, 10 miles away. We figure the gas money is worth the supporting of our local farmers, and the saving of the green by buying locally. Plus ... such better quality.
The strawberries we had for breakfast were awful, and they were from California. Trucked all the way across the country so we coudl buy them and not even like them. When we have strawberry season right now in Plant City, an hour away from us.
So we are making ever more changes and will be happier for it.
And now ... you can call this a L.O.N.G. comment.
Have a great weekend, Cheri.
Hi Cheri, I just dropped in to say hello and wish you well in your move.
I loved your post about rationing. We had a similar system here. Those housewives could teach us a thing or two about making do but I'm really glad we don't have to deal with ration books.
Take care and good luck moving.
Cheri,
I was reading some of the past days blog to Lon he is on his computer and he has some very Tennesse type music playing. I asked what is that an email. He says no that is the Tennesse Chamber of Commerce. He also googled the map to see where in Tennesee you will be living.
I also enjoyed your long post and all the other letters you have found.
I still looking for your address though!
Love,
Dennise
Those letters need to be compiled into a book or something. I'm sure you can do that in all your spare time. ;) What treasures they are. I think they'd be very useful in a homeschool. Read a letter, make a family connection, do a little research. I wonder if my family has anything like that lying around. I'll have to ask. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Cheri,
Kick into your search engine "War Rationing Board" and you will find lots of good stuff about rationing. Because we were farmers we had it beter than most. Mom canned 800 quarts of tomatoes and tomato juice when we were at war and lots of it went into two quart jars. Our cellar (A Yankee Term) was lined with shelves full of the above, beans, pickles, peaches and pears, applesauce, venison and other good stuff. We canned venison because it was in ample supply and we didn`t directly feed the critters. Good Ole Days?? Only in sentiment. Yahoo! Which meant you were happy, not on line.
DOD
Hi everybody! Thanks for your comments. I hope to address some of them in upcoming blogs.
Post a Comment