Friday, April 18, 2008

closing comments

If you don't read the comment section in my blog (or any other for that matter) you are most likely missing half the fun. I laughed out loud yesterday when I read Linda's comment:

I can see it already:
PAT'S TO-DO LIST:
1. Buy fishing maps to all lakes in Tennessee.
2. Verify correctness of all fishing maps by fishing each lake in Tennessee.
3. List, sketch, catch, and mount all types of fish available in Tennessee lakes. (Mounts are for formal dining area.)
4. Determine whether Tennessee fish taste different than Wisconsin fish.
CHERI'S TO-DO LIST:
1. Take a choir director speech class on how to correctly pronounce the words in southern country worship music.
2. Locate the local Christian bookstore, thrift shop, bulk food store, and quilting store.
3. Find a Sunday School class that needs a teacher. (Really, Cheri, I don't think you could ever really retire from this...I don't think you could stand it.)
4. Stock freezer with cookies for visiting Wisconsin girlfriends.

Does she know us or what? The only thing she might have missed is that Pat will also be checking out all the rivers in Tennessee. Below each dam. Thanks, Linda, for being such a faithful friend, reader and commenter.

~~~~~

Speaking of correct pronunciation, I have already shared these stories with some of you. Please bear with me while I tell them again.

I went to a ladies' luncheon with Mom while we were down in TN. We had a wonderful time. One lady asked me where I was from.
Wisconsin, I replied.
"Oh y'all! Did you hear how she said 'Wes cahwn sen'?" she laughed.

Pat was talking to our banker in TN and she gave him the name of a man he should call about a certain matter. "Now is that H-o-w-e-l-l?" Pat asked, wanting to make sure he had the correct name. "No," she said, "It's Hall, H-a-l-l."

Clearly we have a lot to learn.

~~~~~
Today is the closing on our office building. 11 AM. We'd appreciate your prayers that all goes smoothly, especially considering this: Ann and I were out for a walk on Wednesday. We passed the office and there was a large van in front of it. The door of the office was open.

We tentatively walked up to the door. Music was blaring. "Hello?" I called. "Hello?"

Finally a man, about my age, responded. I introduced myself, as did he. He is the buyer of the office. He invited us in.

The office is now completely furnished as a cottage. It looks really cute. I always knew it could be a great little getaway place. Pat had given him permission to go in and drop off a few things, I was just a little surprised to see it practically all set to live in.
~~~~~

I spent 2-3 hours yesterday going through one box. Family history. It is fascinating to me and I will share a rather longish post with you tomorrow on some of what I found.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, y'all er jes brangin' us too much fun with all yer excitin' news.

I would jes pitch me a fit if ya stopped bloggin' 'bout all the stuff yer doin'.

Bless yer hearts ya have a big move ahead. Y'all er gonna be toting stuff halfway 'cross the nation from one place to 'nother.

I'd hep ya, but truly, I have to carry my aunt Bertie to the doctor to have 'er bunyons dissected. Then we'll have to pull in food down to the church for the potluck on Lord's Day.

So pack them bags and come on down.

We'll leave the light on fer ya.

Anonymous said...

Dear Momawake,
Let me tell you a little about the
way Cheri is handling this move.
She is handling this as she does everything else. That would be
cool, calm, and focused. Let me
tell you how her friends are handling this move of our Cheri. HEART SICK!
Just writing these few lines about it brings tears to my eyes. She has been one of the greatest blessings in my life and the thought of her leaving is one of the hardest things I have gone through in quite some time. Over the past 25 years we have laughed,
cried, planned, and walked together. One thing we never did is argue, not one time. She is not only one of my dearest friends, she is also my neighbor and I love her very much. I need to stop here as I need a good cry.
Ann
P.S. I do believe this is God's plan for them.

Cheri said...

Becky, I can see I'll need to come to you for language lessons!

Ann, you are too sweet. Thanks forever for your love and friendship. I'll miss you beyond words..but we have our cell phones!

momawake said...

Thanks to Ann for the insight. We probably need to pray for you and all others who are sad about Cheri's move.

BTW my name is Ann also. :)