
"Hi, are you on the other line?"
"Yeah, where do you want to go?"
"Call me back when you get off."
I love this about Ann. Not only can she read my mind, but she is usually game for whatever I have up my sleeve.
This phone conversation took place on Friday. Pat and Randy had just headed out for some ice fishing (yes, the resident fisherman broke down and bought his (last?) Wisconsin resident fishing license).
When the guys go out fishing, Ann and I generally stay put and behave ourselves, but not always. She called me back and we decided to go out for dinner and drag two unsuspecting gals from our Bible study with us. We had a really nice time. All the nicer for me, because I know these days are numbered and it will be a while before I will find a girlfriend in TN who will be as spontaneous as Ann. Although.... I'm pretty sure I'll be able to talk Mom into a lot of spur of the moment activities.
Pat and Randy went fishing again on Saturday after Pat and I had finished a very productive day of sorting and packing. This time Ann and I went our separate ways.
Yesterday was a gorgeous day with sunshine and warm (72*) temperatures. The guys went fishing again. Pat's last ice fishing. Can you imagine ice fishing when it is in the 70's? And yes, they made it back home without any unfortunate incidences. Ann and I went for a walk, then decided to go into town to check out a remodel job at a friend's home. While we were there, another friend stopped in. We had a nice long chat. (then Ann and I stopped at Dairy Queen....shhhhh)
Later, after Pat and Randy got home, we went over to our neighbors to say good-by. They have been great neighbors. Our paths don't cross much outside of the neighborhood and as we sat there chatting, I was really sad that we hadn't made more of an effort to spend time with them. Life gets way too busy, doesn't it? I'm hoping they will come and visit us.
This morning's devotional reading was in I Chronicles, chapters one and two. I was sorely tempted to skip over this:
The sons of Seir: Lotan, Shobal, Zibeon, Anah Dishon, Ezer and Dishan. The sons of Lotan: Hori and Homam. Timna was Lotan's sister.
Two chapters of names.
But I read them all. Each name representing a person who lived and breathed, had dreams and plans and family and left a mark on history.
As our time in the Northwoods draws to a close, I realize more than ever the impact we all have on each other's lives. I could write a very long list here of the people who have touched my life during our 30 years here. I wish I had time to write a thank you to each and every one.
Today and tomorrow are very busy days around here. However, I never want to be too busy to take time to stop and chat with friends (especially if it involves a quick stop at Dairy Queen).
~~~~~
As the snow disappears, the Northwoods is coming back to life. More birds arrive every day. I saw four flocks of geese fly over head this morning. I also saw the fox. Tulip leaves are pushing up through the soil. Spring is coming.
2 comments:
you and my mom make me smile :)
We make us smile too. :)
Your mother is a precious gift to me.
Post a Comment