Saturday, January 17, 2009

a fashion post

Those of you who know me well, know that I am 'not a slave to fashion' in the words of the Car Talk guys.



So you will be surprised to learn that I am a lurker at a fashion blog. It all started innocently enough. In my never ending quest to save money and the environment and all that good stuff I came across this intriguing blog. Readers are encouraged to not buy new clothes but to repurpose old clothes to bring them back to life (you know, like turning collars).



Some examples include - a husband's old ratty shirt cut down to size to make a cute blouse for the wife - or an old pullover sweater transformed into a cute cardigan. Admittedly, some of the things are rather ugly (in my opinion), but nothing ventured, nothing gained. As more and more retail businesses call it quits and more and more people lose their jobs, we may be very glad to learn the skills required to give our clothes new life.



In the course of reading the wardrobe refashion blog, I came across a link to this blog.



I love the subtitle: proof from the wizened and silver-haired set that personal style advances with age.

As far as I can tell in reading through some of the archives, this is not a tongue in cheek blog, but there is a genuine appreciation for the classy and classic styles exhibited. Okay, some are a little wacky. But all are very cool.



I would like to submit a photo of a very stylish couple I came across. Aren't they cute/handsome? Color coordinated in browns. I've got a lot to learn from these people.


dog gone

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell that there feller to smile.
He is with one lovely lady.... how lucky can a guy get ??!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Cheri:
I would not have the passion or the time for taking and carrying out such a pledge. But I have become interested in the repurposing of wools for artistic purposes. I found some mention of that practice on another blog where repurposing was in full force -- I don't think it was the one you mention. So I am very happy that I don't have to part with a wonderful wool sweater I bought maybe 15 years ago which no longer meets my needs. One of these days I'm going to felt it and see what I get.

Before I heard the terms repurposing or refashioning I had decided to do that very thing with several pieces of clothing I have-- they are two different color families of linen stripes that wanted to come home with me years ago. They will never wear out, and I did wear them a lot for a lot of years. They don't work for me any more, but I hated to part with them. Then I looked at them a little different way, and they will make some excellent carry bags and/or purses. I can see them in my mind; the thing will be if I can actually make it happen so the results are what I envision.

The second link is cool. It may be about fashion and style, but to me it is also about people and photography. How did you find the Couple in Brown so far from Manhattan???
kjh

Cheri said...

I was just happy to get Dad to pose for the picture! A smile would have been a nice bonus though.

Like you, Karen, I probably wouldn't sign up for the wardrobe refashion challenge. But the perspective they have in the blog and some of the interesting things the contributors do is certainly inspiring. And makes me look at my 'seldom worns' in a brand new way.

Have fun with your projects! Send me a picture!

That cute Couple in Brown really gets around. Their next stop in Plains Georgia!