Tuesday, January 06, 2009

intentional

more prairie grasses

"Y'awright?" drawled the substitute postman as he handed me a package yesterday.

"Yes, you?" I responded.

"Awright enough. Y'all go to church?"

"Yes, you?" I replied.

"Yep. Just wanted to make sure y'all did."

This interesting exchange gave me a lot to think about. I have just finished reading Francis Chan's thought provoking book, Crazy Love (a Christmas gift from Nathan). And I'm in the middle of reading Horse and Buggy Mennonites by Donald Kraybill and James Hurd (a Christmas gift from Suzi written by one of the professors in her department).

These are two very different yet suprisingly similar books. In Crazy Love, Chan challenges the reader to live as though they really believed Christ's claims. Not comfortable Christianity, but radical Christ-following living. Horse and Buggy Mennonites, describes the foundational beliefs of the Wenger Mennonites and how those beliefs are reflected in their day to day living.

Chan's book tells us that what we believe should make a difference in how we live.

Kraybill and Hurd's book tells that what they believe does make a difference in how the Wenger Mennonites live.

My substitute mailman tells me that his belief that people should be connected to a church informs how he interacts with new customers.

Intentional. This is a word I have been pondering a lot lately. So much of life just happens to us and we sometimes feel like we are simply swept along with the flow. Or flood.

But we can and should be intentional in how we live. Not simply responding to circumstances, but thoughtfully and wisely pondering and planning (as much as it is possible) how we will live.

Your thoughts?





tangled trees and vines

6 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

Cheri~
We just had a sermon from our Youth Pastor (while Senior Pastor was on Vacation) about "Intentional Multigenerational Discipleship". (We need to be sure to model our faith to our children and grandchildren and tell them about it.) One of the things I wrote down from his sermon was that the Word of God was written so that we might 'practice it' and 'be changed by it'. "God desires His people to obey His word" (Deut.6:1)If I am going to be "Intentional" I need to start the ball rolling ~ just like your mailman. Because people probably aren't going to come up to me and ask me.
Thanks for keeping "being intentional" in front of me this week so that I might 'practice' it!
Raeann

Candy said...

First thing, I should say person, that comes to my mind whenever I see or hear the word intentional is Pastor Paul! He preached that to the youth and the youth leaders constantly. I think he knew what he was talking about!

Anonymous said...

Hi, In my reading as well as in conversations of recent, I have been reminded of how important our 'intentions' reflect who Christ is in us. I've been working on my mindset and 'thoughtfully' considering my words and actions. The smallest act or word can ripple through many spreading the hope of our belief in Christ. hmmmmmmm so sweet our the connections among us all. Blessings, Katie

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Cheri. I have circumstances that I need to respond to more wisely and intentionally this week. In our girls get-together last night we talked about the self-centeredness of Jonah and how when our eyes are on ourselves they are not on God and his plans. Seems to require minute by minute steering adjustments to not be like Jonah. Your words are always a "direction sign" to me. I think I long to be around more intentional, wisdom-pondering people. Linda

momawake said...

I think it's just plain easier to bury our heads in the sand or turn away from a hard thing. Not right, just easier, so that's what we often do.
Then there's the temptation to think, "I'm just one person, what can I do?" These are things I struggle with when it comes to lots of life issues.

Anonymous said...

Growing up to be honest I had never run across anyone that did not go to a church and say they believed. It was a smallish town and close people in it. It was a real shock to later be around people that very openly stated their unbelief etc. In some ways now the thought of a new mailman asking about our faith is unusual. A GOOD unusual!! ;-) It gave me a warm feeling to know he and others are out there practicing their faith and living as you say ... intentionally. Thankyou for the testimony. Jody