Thursday, May 14, 2009

the eyes have it

compare this rose bush with yesterday's picture - they keep coming and coming!

Choir is good for my brain. As I have mentioned before, our choir director requires that we memorize 'special' music numbers (for solos or small groups). Last night was my first run through with my little solo and my brain did not fail me. Thank you LORD!

I practiced for that small solo and then in a quartet and then in a piano duet.

The pianist and I (actually she is the organist but we are playing a piano duet. Together.) were discussing glasses. She normally wears bifocals, but has switched to using reading glasses for playing because her neck got tired of tilting back so she could see the music through the lower part of the lense.

I have gone from bifocals to reading glasses. But the reading glasses are not good for every application. For example when I am singing, they are fine for looking down at the music, but when I look up at the choir director he is a blur. I can look over the tops of them, but then they slide down and pinch my nose and make me sound nasally. I think I need to have two pairs of glasses.

During our quartet practice, we were discussing the difficulties of reading music with our various eye maladies. One near sighted, one far sighted, one with contacts, one with trifocals. Who should we have hold the music? Guess that is why our director wants us to memorize our songs!

When I had bifocals, I had a hard time leaving them on. Off and on, off and on. Where are they now? I have had glasses for several years now, you would think I would have this figured out by now.

Any solutions that work for you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right there with you! The upright grand piano in my home lets the music sit much lower than a normal grand piano, so I am caught off guard a little playing at church and seeing clearly. I remember when I was a little younger and Alice M. and I had to share music and I couldn't figure out why she kept pushing it so far out...now I get it. Perhaps if our eyes go bad we can justify retirement and passing on church work to the next generation! Linda

momawake said...

Now I don't play the piano regularly, so I'm not sure about that, but I really like my progressive lenses.

Tnfarmgirl said...

Tried just the reading glasses but they don't work for everything ...tried the bi-focals but they didn't work for everything...that neck ache thing happens quickly.

Now I have progressive bi-focals....love it but I also have reading glasses...it helps for computer work and reading so I'm not tilting my head back.

Sorry I missed you the other day!
Much love to all and hug DOD for me!
Cheri

Cheri said...

Thanks for the advice (and the validation!) girls!

Will do, Cheri!