Friday, August 07, 2009

comfort


I saw her as I looked across the congregation from the vantage point of the choir loft. She had such a look of peace and contentment on her face.

Surprising considering her only son had been killed a month earlier in a motorcycle accident.

Then we learned at choir Wednesday night that she was in the hospital. Unexplained numbness.

Though I don't know her well, she is a fellow alto and has made me feel very welcome. I went to visit her in the hospital yesterday.

I had only planned to stay a few minutes, but for the better part of an hour she poured out her story to me.

A nephew died at age 24. Her son gone at 37. Two divorces (from the same man - he walked out on her twice). Numerous health problems. An autistic granddaughter. A niece with recurring breast cancer. Mental illness in the family. Financial woes.

Any one of these would have been daunting, yet she was bearing up under all of them with grace, dignity and even joy.

As so often happens, my visit with her was probably more of a comfort to me than to her.

She is convinced of God's goodness and loving kindness. An Ever Present Help in time of need.

She mentioned that one thing that helps to brighten her day and buoy her spirits is a card. She has received many cards and she carefully checks the name of the sender and reads and re-reads the message and meditates on any Scripture enclosed.

The cards have been such a comfort that she plans to redouble her efforts to take the time to send cards to those who are sick or grieving.

As do I.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"an ever present help"....a comfort to know that God is that for us.....thinking about how to be that for my friends. We can be so good at rejoicing with those who rejoice; but not so good with weeping with those who weep. Will your friend be all right? Linda

Cheri said...

Good point, Linda.

Yes, I think she will be okay. The last I heard was they think it was a TIA, but the effects are lasting longer than expected.