Thursday night after leaving Mom and Dad's we continued on our way and met up with another couple - they live two doors down from us. We talked and walked. When we got to their house, we talked some more and as the guys discussed cars and garages, she invited me into their home.
Simply beautiful. Not a piece of paper or a book or a magazine on any flat surface. No shoes by the door, no clutter anywhere. It looked like a model home.
That is so not me. I greatly admire people who can keep their homes like that, but I don't manage to emulate them.
Here is what I came home to:
his and her pairs of shoes by the door
four ears of corn and a couple of bowls of tomatoes from the garden on the kitchen counter as well as a loaf of zucchini bread
a bucket of apples from the neighbor on the kitchen floor
strips of fabric on the guest bed - I'm making a lap quilt for a friend who was recently diagnosed with cancer and has just begun chemo
the ironing board set up next to the sewing machine so I can press as I sew
the days mail on the kitchen table awaiting filing or pitching
music books open on the clavinova..
and so on.
But I always make our bed! Our home is clean, just not necessarily neat.
My neighbor works full time and they go out to eat several times a week.
Not so here. Both of us here for breakfast, lunch and dinner. My home is my work place. Sewing, crafting, cooking, baking, preserving and making music.
It really isn't super messy, just busy.
I find it to be a comfortable jumble of things I enjoy. Pat seems to agree (aren't I lucky?).
And I hope that if you stopped by, you would feel a warm welcome, no matter how many projects I have going.
How 'bout you? Are you a neat as a pin homemaker or do you have a lot of things going on at once?
4 comments:
I'm just like you. If I had a guest walk in right now I'd have to gather scraps of fabric off the guest bed (which is made with clean sheets)for them to use. We're clean. But not spotless. Tidy but not neat. And you'd be more than welcome to surprise me any day :)
Definately a project girl. Since the living room in our 990 square foot house is also where I teach piano and home school, with the computer and exercise bike also snugged in, and being a book hound and gardener.....you get the picture. I would feel very at home in your place. Linda
Hi Cheri~
I am so glad your HOME is not like your neighbors HOUSE! A house has no heart. It is not a comfortable place for anyone to be in, not even family! A home is the heart of the family, a place where all can gather and feel cozy and safe and be themselves! My grandmother had a little plack on her kitchen wall that read ~
My home is clean enough to be healthy, but 'dirty' enough to be happy!"
I like that!
How wonderful that your home is busy and vibrant and active and people LIVE there! I would love to come to visit you (if I am ever in Tennessee!)
Blessings!
Cheri, your home sounds like a place that is good for the soul -- and not just because there's homemade zucchini bread on the counter!
Post a Comment