Thursday, October 01, 2009

reads


Back in January, I purposed to read one book a week. I've kept a list of the books I read on the sidebar of the blog. I'm close to achieving my goal, but need to step it up a bit in these last 12 weeks of the year.

I love to read. I always had my nose in a book, when I was younger. As did my sisters, though Lori normally read two or three books at the same time.

I am currently reading two books - The Bible Jesus Read by Philip Yancey and The Last Days by Joel C. Rosenberg. The Bible Jesus Read is thoughtful and thought provoking. Yancey generally inspires me to look at things another way. The Last Days is a page turner. I finished his first book The Last Jihad in two days because I couldn't put it down. Though, I have to say, it took me a few chapters to get into it - I thought some of the writing was a bit cliched (if that is a word).

I've cast aside other books if they don't grab me in the first few chapters. Life is too short to read dull books, but I'm glad I stuck with The Last Jihad. Of course, now I will have to read the whole series.

Next year I hope to be a little less haphazard in my reading. I think I would like to read biographies of our Presidents. In order of course.

So...what are you reading right now? Any recommendations?

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

The Last Guardian by Jeff Grubb, I finished this book within 2 nights btw, I love reading!

sherry's snippets said...

Hi cheri,
I thought I would check on you. Especially, since I hardly have time to get on the computer anymore. Well, unless it is for homeschooling lessons. Well I like to read several books at once. I get bored with one unless it is really good. I am currently reading, "The sneaky chef to the rescue" 101 all new recipes and sneaky tricks for creating healthy meals kids WILL love. I am still reading but it does sound great on paper. I hope to try it out soon. I am also canning so I am not sure how many recipes I will get to try. It is a good book by Missy Chase Lapine. I am also reading many homeschooling what they need to know books. Hope to talk to you soon. I miss you.
sherry duncan

Anonymous said...

I am, like Sherry, canning (apple-sauce), but am reading Passing into Light by Sharon Ewell Foster, the Trouble with Jesus by Joseph Stowell, and The Coffee Mom's Devotional by Celeste Palermo...all good. Linda

Lady Farmer said...

Southern Hills Ramblings by Cheri!
Very good read! ;~}
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I generally read 2 books a week, sometimes 3. Depends on how long they are and how interesting. I, too, will throw aside a boring book.

I am currently reading "The People of the Book." It is the history of a rare Jewish writing, based on the people that handled it through the years. Interesting. I am learning things about Bosnia, Serbian people, and the Jewish heritage.

momawake said...

Desiring God by John Piper. Saving Freedom by Jim DeMint. Last Days Madness by Gary DeMar. All the Sisterchick books by Robin Jones Gunn. There are probably many more.