Saturday, August 19, 2017

prepared

Crabapples are nearly ready to harvest!

Some bloggers I respect are sounding the alarm.  Not an alarming alarm, but a cautionary alarm.  Personal, national and world events feel unsettled.

Here are a few of the articles:

Violence in Charlottesville, VA
Terrorist attacks in Spain
Traffic issues and empty shelves in anticipation of the solar eclipse
Job loss
Weather events
Health concerns

All of the above are good reasons to 'be prepared'.  What do I mean by that?  

First of all, fear not.  Keep calm and carry on, as they say.

For us, the most likely issues we will face is health problems (like my shattered elbow) or weather events (like 12 inches of snow in one day).

So, I prepare for those.  When things that we eat go on sale, I buy a case or a bunch depending on what it is.  When toiletries and other things go on sale, I stock up.  I buy quantities of things at the lowest prices I see.

It is pretty simple.  If we are snowed in, we have plenty to eat.  If we have an extended power outage, we have alternate ways of cooking and lighting our home.

If we are sick, we don't have to venture out.  There is comfort food on hand.

Buying things on sale and stocking up is smart.  It is good insurance.  And it is like money in the bank.  


I'm not a prepper or a survivalist.  But I do like to be prepared.  And I think it is Biblical.  Read the story of Joseph in Genesis 47.

Keep calm, carry on and stock up!

What do you do to be prepared?

2 comments:

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Good morning! Very good article! I kind of stock up but not organized very well. Need to start a list of what I have I guess. At our age and where we are moved it is a challenge. I don't like to go out too much when the roads are slippery or it is bitter cold. Seems like this summer went faster than the previous ones! Am rambling! LOL Have a great day! Nancy

Cheri said...

Nancy, bitter cold and slippery roads are great reasons to stock up!

Our summer, too, has gone by at lightning speed. How come winter never does that?