Wednesday, August 14, 2019

returning

 It has been a practically perfect day - weather-wise.


Blue skies, light breeze, comfortable temperatures and a reason to rejoice.  

We went out for breakfast this morning to  celebrate my DH's birthday.  I won't divulge his age here, but he is a bit north of 'three score and ten'.  We chatted with a few friends at the coffee shop and returned home to find that a friend had left a bag full of just-the-right-size-cucumbers on our doorstep. (Love small town living.)

I'll be turning those into refrigerator pickles tomorrow (recipe below).

At this same friend's recommendation, I picked up some prime rib with au jus at our grocery store's deli.  Reheated in the juice with some garden fresh green beans and a salad with cherry tomatoes from our deck and other fixin's from the farmer's market, we ate al fresco on our deck.  Surround sound provided  by the birds, a fountain splashing in the background and a light breeze through the trees. Colorful coleus and flowers were visited by one of the neighborhood hummingbirds.

 It was fine dining at its finest.  A practically perfect day.

Refrigerator Pickles (not for canning)

I have used this recipe from a friend for years.  It is delicious and never lasts long.

12 medium cucumbers - sliced thin
1 green pepper - chopped
2 onions - chopped
4 TABLESPOONS salt

Let stand 2 hours.

Rinse 3 times - rinse very well.
Combine 2 C. white vinegar and 2 1/2 C. sugar.  Stir until dissolved.
Pour over cucumbers, pepper and onion and refrigerate.

I wish I could tell you how long this lasts.  All I know is not long!





No comments: