Monday, March 09, 2020

pleasant places











The drive to church is beautiful, no matter the time of year.  While driving to church the other day, I noticed a half dozen turkeys on one side of the road, scratching the newly exposed ground for snack.  There is often a bald eagle - such a majestic creature.  The road follows the river at a few places.  Unspoiled by any structures, signs or wires, it is quite wild looking.

I love where we live.  We are surrounded by lakes, woods and beauty.
We live within a few hours of much of our family.  We love our church.  We have wonderful friends - friends that we have known for decades and new friends.

Truly, truly:
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. Psalm 16:6.

But sometimes there is a 
in the road.

 The news is full of crises.  Especially lately. The coronavirus!  The stock market plummeted! The election. There is bad news everywhere.  Some of it very serious.

At times like this, I choose to focus on Psalm 16:6.  The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places.

If you look around your house and don't feel that it is a pleasant place, do something to make it so.  Fluff the pillows, banish the dust bunnies, straighten or remove the eyesores, the clutter, the stacks.  Light a candle or put on your diffuser.  Make a cup of tea.  Put on some soft music.  Buy yourself a bouquet of flowers.

If you are feeling panicked about the state of things - spend a little time reminding yourself of all the pleasant things, the blessings in your life.  Turn off the news; step away from the internet.  Praise the Lord.  Even at night He will instruct you.

And this is one thing I have learned about him in 50+ years of following Him.  He will not instruct you to worry.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Thanks for the great reminder to focus on the good and be thankful for what we have. Stay well!

Billie Jo said...

Hello!
Happy to be your newest follower!

Cheri said...

You stay well, too Gretchen!

Thanks for stopping by, Billie Jo!